SLAP stands for “superior labrum anterior and posterior. A SLAP tear is an injury to the labrum of the shoulder, which is the cartilage ring that surrounds the socket of the shoulder joint. A round socket in our shoulder blade is called glenoid. this glenoid is surrounded by strong fibre tissue called labrum .this Labrum helps in stabilize the shoulder joint. But In SLAP TEAR, the tear occurs both front(anterior) and back (posterior)of the labrum it causes pain in the shoulder. and difficult to move.
Causes of SLAP Tear
Slap tear is commonly caused by using arm or shoulder heavily like sports, we can see more in athletes.
- use shoulder in Trowing ball repeatedly: while playing continues trowing sports. The shoulder may undergo stress then tear may happen.
- Due to vehicle accident: when an accident happens if fell on shoulder directly then tear may happen.
- Falling onto the shoulder: after falling from high, the hand may be tilted it results to the SLAP tear
- Pulling arm forcefully: if someone forcefully pulled your hand then muscles undergo stress.it results slap tear
- Lifting Heavy objects: if you lift a heavy object without practice muscles undergo stress leads to SLAP Tear
Types of Treatment
Initially, patients with slap tear treated with the normal non-surgical process.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medication: some medication like naproxen and ibuprofen is given to reduce swelling and pain.
- Physical Therapy: Some physical therapist, recommended exercises can restore movement and reduce pain. and reduce the risk of further injury.
Doctor go for surgery process when a non-surgery process is not showing results in relieving pain
The SLAP Tear usually treated with Arthroscopy or keyhole surgery.
If you have an arm injury or if non-surgical treatment is not working, then you might need surgery.
Arthroscopy, During this procedure, the surgeon makes a small cut on the injured shoulder. Then small camera or arthroscope, into the joint. Then expertise surgeon uses miniature surgical tools to repair the SLAP tear.
Benefits of Arthroscopy Surgery:
The low risk of complications: As we in Arthroscopy uses small cut to operate injury. This will minimize the risk of infection and other complication
Less pain: in Arthroscopy no muscles will cut to repair joint. So pain is manageable, Because of fewer cuts
Recovery time: Because of minimal cuts will make a faster recovery.
Less scarring: In Arthroscopy is done with cut fewer cut so less scarring.
Dr Om Prakash Agrawal at Bhagwan Devi Hospital in Hyderabad offers the Best SLAP TEAR Treatment in Shaikpet, Hyderabad.
Appointments Are Available. Book Now